Civil Litigation Lawyer Peterborough - When a business goes through financial problems, it is important to choose the correct team to assist your business through the necessary processes. These may consist of insolvencies, bankruptcies and business restructuring. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Team has a wealth of skill to help you deal with these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to offer suggestion and representation, leading to strategic, timely and effective solutions.
Our clients come from many different enterprises in businesses like biomedical, airline, automotive, construction, entertainment, communications, funeral, financial services, healthcare, marketing, insurance, manufacturing, mining, technology, steel, retail, natural resources, and real estate. Our lawyers can assist you with the difficulties of cross-border procedures administered under either the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act ("CCAA") or Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. We have extensive skill with multi-national and domestic business restructurings and reorganizations, whether informal or court-supervised. Insolvency and bankruptcy restructuring legislation in Canada and the U.S. have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; however, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to require individuals involved in cross-border procedures to be knowledgeable about both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised intermediaries and stakeholders within a lot of the biggest restructurings and insolvencies under the CCAA, the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA") and the Winding-up and Restructuring Act.
Timely access to the required experts can tip the scales in favour of a positive outcome during insolvency and business restructuring. Our team draws upon the depth and breadth of various experienced members in our international business in all legal fields related to business reorganizations. Our firm has professionals in banking and securitization, mergers and acquisitions, labour and employment, public and private equity, intellectual property and real property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency requiring advocacy before trial and appellate courts, our team provides experienced litigators.
Our services to a wide range of stakeholders include the following:
1. We advise financially challenged businesses on restructuring alternatives and options including directing and initiating formal restructuring procedures under the CCAA and the BIA.
2. In relation to businesses in financial distress, we advise board members and the special/independent committees of private and public corporations.
3. We advise in relation to insolvent business debtors, including providing advice in the context of cross-border restructuring procedures, to institutional and non-regulated lenders, members of and agents to operational, term, second-lien and asset-based lenders, lending syndicates, distressed debt investors, trust indenture trustees, bondholders, formal and ad hoc noteholders committees, and private equity and hedge fund investors.
4. In cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to Canadian and cross-border restructuring proceedings, we advise the formal and ad-hoc creditors committees.
5. We advise secured creditors regarding the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their rights and interests in insolvency procedures.
6. We advise trustees in bankruptcy, liquidators, receivers, monitors, construction lien trustees, interim receivers and other court-appointed officers in CCAA proceedings and proposals under the BIA, including receiverships and bankruptcies.
7. We advise equipment leasers and vendors, suppliers, contracting third parties, and commercial landlords in restructuring and insolvency realizations and proceedings and in relation to defaulting or insolvent debtors.
8. We can assist the purchasers who are businesses or distressed assets in cases administered under the BIA and CCAA, from the trustees, private or court-appointed receivers.
9. In insolvency procedures, we help financial advisors, investment bankers, and other consultants.
10. In the context of business restructuring, bankruptcy, and insolvency cases, we give counsel on a wide range of litigation matters.
11.We prosecute and defend preference actions and litigation actions for fraudulent conveyance of assets and acquiring urgent relief to protect and preserve assets from dissipation, like mareva injunctions, injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf